Thursday, September 22, 2011

Visualizing

We have been working on visualizing. I love finding books that help teach this. Here are a few of my favorites. If you click on the picture of the book it will link you to Amazon.com where you can find more information.


I like to introduce the concept by reading the first part of "The Gruffalo" by Julia Donaldson. I don't show the book to the kids and stop in the middle and have them draw a picture of what they think a gruffalo looks like. The book gives a great description and it's fun to see what the kiddos are visualizing.


There is also a sequel called "The Gruffalo's Child" that is just as fun and you can carry on the theme of visualizing.

Another favorite book is "Just Another Ordinary Day" by Rod Clement. I also hide the cover of this book from the students. I read through the book and we talk about what they are visualizing. Then I read the book again and show them the pictures. They LOVE it because it is not anything like they had visualized!
Next we read, Shark in the Park by Nick Sharratt. A little boy named Timothy Pope goes to the park with his new telescope. It's a fun book because the pages have a die-cut hole that zeros in on what he thinks is shark's fin but a turn of the page gives the big picture.

I share the book "Max's Words" by Kate Banks with my kids. It's a fun book for visualizing because it shows some visualizing by the characters as they begin to make up a story. I also like this book when I begin my Writer's Workshop. It teaches the importance of letters, words, and sentences and how together they can create a story for others to read.


One of my favorites is "Gooney Bird Greene" by Lois Lowery. I start this chapter book the middle of September because I like to use it for several teaching purposes. One is for visualizing. Ms. Lowery describes the feisty, friendly character Gooney Bird and the fun outfits she wears to school. It's fun to have the firsties talk about what they think she looks like before you show them the picture. I also use this book to launch my Writer's Workshop. Gooney Bird teaches her second grade class where they can get ideas for their own stories. It's a great way to get kids thinking about where they can find their own stories and what they can write about.
I'd love to hear what good books you use to teach visualizing. Happy Reading!





(Note: This post contains my Amazon Associates link)

No comments: