Monday, October 17, 2011

Aarrgh We Equal?

I taught a lesson last week in math about equal or not equal. It was called "Aarrgh We Equal". I had two kids come up and put on a pirate's eye patch. I gave them several number sentences. Some were equal, some were not. They had to decide how to sort them into 2 groups. One of the kiddos figured it out and explained it to the class. I purposely picked her because I had a feeling she would be able to figure it out and she did! Then we discussed what the equals sign means. I had my number balance and we tested the number sentences out on the scale. Click on the picture and it will take you to Amazon.com where you can find the price and more information on the number balance.

They really thought that was cool! Then we did a class sort together in the pocket chart. Some of the sentences we had to test on the number balance. The next day the firsties did a sort on their own in there sort book. Now the exciting part- Next Monday I am starting my Math Work Stations and I'm putting this activity in one of the stations! The kids will be able to sort on their own and test on the number balance. Then I also made a game to go along with it. Click on the picture if you'd like a copy of the sort or game. I hope you're having a great Monday!




No comments: