Friday, October 21, 2011

Halloween Books & Spooks

We've been on Fall break the past 2 days and it has been wonderful! I went to the beautiful mountains 4-wheeling with my hubby and had lots of fun. Then I went to school to try and get caught up. It's really nice at school when no one is there. I can get tons done! I've got my math stations all set up and ready to go. Now I just need to do some intense training to make it all work. I'm excited for Monday!
Here's a peek at the fun writing activity we did on Tuesday-"If Spooks Could Talk". We read a fun book called "A Very Brave Witch" by Alison McGhee. The whole story is told with talking and thinking bubbles. Then we talked about some of the Halloween spooks and what they might want to say if they could talk. We did a few together. Then I had the kiddos pick a spook and write in the talking bubble what they thought it might say. Some of them were pretty funny. We put them in the hall for all to read. Here's a picture, one of the spooks and a link to the book.





We have also been reading lots of great Halloween books and doing great comprehension studies with them. If you click on the picture of the book it will link you to Amazon.com where you can find the price and info for each book.




We used these books "Halloween Pie" by Michael O. Tunnell and "Big Pumpkin" by Erica Silverman to study problem and solution. We also practiced retelling with "Big Pumpkin".

"Bony Legs" by Joanna Cole is one of our favorites to study characters.

For rhyming words and text to text connections we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "Shake dem Halloween Bones" by W. Nikola-Lisa!
Hope you have a great weekend!

(Note: This post contains my Amazon Associates link.)

No comments: