Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Great Teacher Book!


Mrs. Spitzer's Garden by Edith Pattou

This is one of my favorite books- for me not the kids. I've read it to my firsties before but most of them don't get it. So then I have to explain. I like to read it to myself at the beginning and end of the year. It reminds me of the important job I have to do. I love the part that says:
"She knows that different plants (her plants are her students) need different things. And that each plant has its own shape. 
Some of the plants grow quickly, pushing upward, eager, impatient.
Some grow more slowly, unfolding themselves bit by bit.
Some plants sprout thin and tall.
Some are bushy and wide-spreading.
Some are bold, showy. They are brightly colored, saying "Look at Me!"
Some are silvery and quiet, the color of the earth.
A few are like wildflowers and will grow anywhere you put them.
And some need gentle care, a special watching-over."

 "And then the year is over, and her job is done.
But the plants will keep growing, uncurling their stems, stretching their leaves outward, and showing their faces to the sun."

I can't dwell on this for very long or I'll get a little teary. But I LOVE being a teacher and watching my little ones grow and change. Grateful of the chance to help my little plants 'stretch and show their faces to the sun!'
This book makes a terrific gift for any teacher on your list- even yourself. It's a must read!

Thanks to all the wonderful teachers out there that make a difference in children's lives. Bless you!
Have a great day!



4 comments:

Lori said...

I love this book to and the message that it conveys!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

Lisa R. said...

That is such a sweet book! I definitely want to buy this over the summer for next year. :)

Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Barbara said...

Aw, it sounds like a beautiful book. I'm adding it to my list. Thanks!

❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful
Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

Mrs. Anderson said...

It's sounds like a wonderful book. I'll have to check it out. Like you, one of the best parts of teaching is watching my little first graders grow and learn so much over the course of a year.
Connie:)
welcome to first grade room 5