Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A GREAT New Find!

Sorry I've been MIA for a week or two. I've been swamped. School started and I took a little vacation for Labor Day with the family camping. I just haven't had time to blog. But hopefully, I've got my game together now and can get back to my routine.

I just found a FANTASTIC website. I'm probably late to the 'party' and everyone already knows about it but here goes. One of my grade level team members shared some great math lessons she found from Math Solutions. Thanks Kinley!! I tried the lesson today called 'Comparing Handfuls'. I knew it was going to be great because one of the authors of the lesson was Marilyn Burns! I've read things from her before and LOVE her work. The lesson went AWESOME! It was a great way to introduce comparing. So I came home and did a little research on the site Math Solutions. What a GREAT site. It has over 40 FREE lessons for K-1. There are lessons for grades 2-3 and 4-6. They are Common Core aligned and there are a ton of other great things for teaching math like free webinars, video clips, articles by Marilyn Burns, an on-line newsletter, and more.
Here are a few pictures of my class doing 'Comparing Handfuls'.
I made a recording sheet to go along with it. 
You can grab a copy of my recording sheet by clicking HERE.
You can go directly to the Math Solutions lessons for K-1 by clicking HERE.

Tomorrow I'm doing the lesson called 'More or Less'. I hope it goes as well as today! I can't wait to try some more. If you've tried some of the lessons, I'd LOVE to hear your comments!


2 comments:

Veronica said...

Thank you for sharing this site!

Tammy said...

Sounds like a great site and comparing handfuls will be perfect for my class!
❀ Tammy
Forever in First