Saturday, September 7, 2013

Love the Lehi FD

Last week we had our annual fire drill with our city firefighters. They come every year and pull a surprise fire drill and time us to see how quickly we can evacuate the building. Each year after this event, I walk my kiddos past the huge fire truck so they can see it up close. The firemen are usually in the building discussing the drill with the principal. But this year they happened to come out while I was taking a picture of my class in front of their truck. Well lucky me! The captain on duty just happened to be a former student from over 20 years ago!
He started talking to my firsties and showed them all the equipment. He even let one of them try on his helmet!
 As we were looking at all the gauges and buttons, the firemen told my class that if they wanted to be a firefighter when they grow up they need to make sure they do their math! They need to know math to work all the buttons and gauges.
 Needless to say, the huge fire truck and the firefighters were a BIG HIT! We went back inside and it was almost lunch time. I told the class we would have to skip math today because of the fire drill. That's when one little boy started to cry. I asked him what was wrong and he said he wants to be a fireman when he grows up and we just can't skip math or he won't be good enough in math to be one. It was soooo cute! I gave him a hug and told him not to worry that we would have math in the afternoon.
THANK YOU LEHI FIRE DEPARTMENT for taking the time to talk to my kiddos and for having such great role models for my firsties to look up to!!


1 comment:

susanlulu said...

Such a sweet story. I team-teach with a former student of mine.
susanlulu@yahoo.com